- US. one’s area of interest, skills, or expertise.
- Baseball. (of a pitch) within the zone that is most advantageous for a batter to hit a home run.
- Organization. a place or center of control or leadership
- Nautical. Pilothouse, a protected area from where the Captain steers the vessel. Normally having the best views from which to plot your next adventure.
- Lifestyle Foundations. A home that has the foundational elements of Master, Mission, Mate, and MySelf that support the lifestyle elements of Career, Finance, Environment, Health, Romance, Entertainment, Spirituality, and Friends and Family. All of these elements must align with and express the true authentic identity of it’s owner(s).
Lifestyle Foundations is a term I coined to illustrate how a home is not only a reflection of your unique personality but also serves to support you in your life endeavors. Once you have done the Lifestyle Foundations deep dive to pinpoint your authentic gifts and goals and have aligned the form and function of your home with those, you will be living in your WheelHouse.
Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs for Your Home
Applying Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs to your home is the essence of creating your WheelHouse. Like a home tour, as you progress from the bottom up in the hierarchy, your lifestyle builds to support you to reach the highest levels of self-actualization and ultimately use your gifts to help others. The WheelHouse process identifies needs in each area of Maslow’s Hierarchy according to the eight areas of the Wheel of Life: Career, Finance, Friends and Family, Spirituality, Romance, Environment, Fun, and Health.
Not unlike a guided home tour, in your WheelHouse, you progress upward after mastering the foundational level of the Four M’s, Mastery, Mission, Mate, and MySelf. Then, the main living areas (higher needs) are assessed to make sure you are living authentically and up to potential in all areas of your life. These lifestyle areas include Career, Finance, Family and Friends, Romance, Environment, Spirituality, Entertainment, and Health. Each of these lifestyle areas must be supported by the foundation of the WheelHouse (the 4 Ms). Just like issues in the basement of a home cause problems in the upper levels of the house, misaligned foundational elements of your life will cause strife in your lifestyle.
The final set of stairs leads you to the attic, the highest level of development. In Maslow’s hierarchy, being on the top level means that you are self-actualized. If you can make it through this conceptual home tour to the top level, you have mastered your lifestyle. You are living in your WheelHouse!
After you master the levels of your WheelHouse, you can go out into the world authentically with your gifts from a home that supports and represents the authentic you. If, however, you get stuck along the way in one of the lower levels, a deep dive into that area must take place. Typically, when people are searching for a new home, at least one of these elements of their home needs to be re-aligned to match their best lifestyle. The WheelHouse process is designed to pinpoint what needs fixing to support you in living your most authentic, best life.
Lifestyle Foundations is the process by which homeowners identify their perfect home, their WheelHouse. Living in their WheelHouse will set them free to live the life of their dreams! Click here to take a personal Lifestyle Lift assessment.